Zane, 5 weeks old
My Big Guy is already five weeks old. He is growing INSANELY fast! Here’s a recap of his development so far in month 1:
- Weighs about 10 pounds and is about 22 inches long.
- Wears 3-6 month clothing and size 1 diapers.
- Nurses about every 3 hours around the clock for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lifts head up straight: a few days old
- Pushes up to lift head and upper torso: a few days old
- Holds head up and looks around: 1-2 weeks
- First real/social response smiles: 3 weeks, 5 days old
- First frowning response, 4 weeks old
- Rolls from belly to back: 4 weeks, 6 days old
- Pulled blanket into his mouth: 5 weeks, 0 days old.
- When I tell him to “wait a minute” he will usually stop fussing for a few minutes until I can settle to nurse him.
- When I ask him, “What’s the matter?” He will stop fussing and look at me and give me his hungry cues while looking straight at me.
- While nursing, if I tell him, “You better wake up.” He will usually open one eye, look at me, take a deep breath, and resume nursing.
- Actually very laid back. He doesn’t really cry except for when he is especially gassy or hungry. Otherwise he’s totally fine doing whatever.
- He is STRONG and very alert. Ever since he was like a week old he will open his eyes wide, wrinkle his forehead as he lifts his eyebrows up, and sort of pants in excitement when you talk to him. I call it his, “I’m listening” face.
- If he likes what you are doing with his hands or feet, he will lift them back up for you to grab. I think he started this at 2-3 weeks. I have a video- it’s cute!
- He knows exactly what has to happen when it is time to nurse and gets MAD if anything else happens (put him down, hand him to someone else, give him a binky) when he is hungry. As soon as I cradle him he will instantly calm down and start to root. It’s funny to see him switch so quickly!
- If he has to wait forever to nurse (read- 2.5 seconds after initial cry), and then finally latches on, he looks for all the world like a hungry dog with a giant ham bone off in some corner, daring someone to take his bone away. Trust me, the description totally fits. It makes me laugh every time.
- Hates diaper changes
- LOVES baths!